Tuesday, August 17, 2010

To my surprise




I have had mixed feelings about the appeal of Tyra's Next Top Model series, but Cycle 13 featuring petite models (5'7" and under) blew me away. Commercially, it appealed to the majority of petite women and girls who fantasized of entering the high fashion industry. I was most inspired by the Hapa theme in episode 9 because by fusing different ethnicity into fashion and makeup, Tyra reminded me how history stays with us and culture continues to stir us.

This episode demonstrated that there are opportunities to express creativity as well to communicate different people's voices. A model is most alive because of this concept by conveying strength. Nicole Fox, as a Japanese/Malagasy in the photograph below, stands powerful and elegant without the common cold stare editorials models have. Love it!

No comments: